Whether you call it walking, hiking or rambling, the Gay Sunday Walking Group goes out and enjoys it - in London, Middlesex, Essex, Kent, Surrey, Sussex, Berks, Bucks, Beds and Herts on one all-day and one half-day walk each month.
You don’t have to be an experienced rambler to take part, in fact many of our members have developed a taste for the open air as a result of coming on one of our walks for the first time. Each month there is a half-day walk of about 3 to 6 miles and also a full-day walk of 7 to 12. We welcome members of all ages and we walk at a comfortable pace in a group of up to about twenty or so, starting and finishing at a railway or tube station usually within an hour’s journey from central London and, on full-day walks, stopping at a pub or café for lunch (or you are welcome to bring a picnic). The group maintains specialist activity insurance arranged through the Ramblers charity.
GSWG membership is open to gay men, lesbians, and to gay-friendly straights and costs just £9 per year. This entitles you to come on as many walks as you please at no extra charge and you will also receive a quarterly newsletter and walks notice via email (there is a £2 supplement to receive these items by post), plus tea after the AGM and an invitation to our popular December Tea celebration.
If you’d like to try us out before joining, do come along to your chosen walk from those listed here (the programme is updated every three months). You can get details of where to meet by contacting us as shown below, and make yourself known to the walk leader on the day. We are a friendly group and you can rest assured that you will be made most welcome.
Current Programme (Mid-August to November)
- Sunday, August 21st: Part of the London Loop today in Kent and Surrey. Nine miles with hills and stiles from Hayes station to Hamsey Green.
- Sunday, September 4th: A midday walk along the Regent’s canal to Islington, starting at Baker Street station. En route we’ll pass the Zoo, Camden Lock and the newly redeveloped area behind King’s Cross. Four and a half miles.
- Sunday, September 18th: A strenuous ten mile ramble in the Chilterns starting and finishing at Princes Risborough in Buckinghamshire. This full-day walk includes a couple of steep climbs and descents but the scenery and flora and fauna are well worth the effort.
- Saturday, October 1st: One of south west London’s less well-known parks provides the basis of this afternoon’s walk starting at Hampton Wick. We’ll traverse Bushy Park to the Water Gardens then head south to Hampton Court (four miles), then an optional two further miles along the Thames towpath back to Hampton Wick.
- Sunday, October 16th Into Surrey for a nine mile circular walk from Leatherhead taking in the Mole Valley and Fetcham Downs, or you can do just the morning or afternoon stretch. A meandering river, fields and woods, autumn colours and, as on all of our walks, good company.
- Sunday, November 6th: Today’s half-day walk covers the area in and around the Queen Elizabeth (formerly Olympic) Park at Stratford. Five miles.
- Sunday, November 20th Eynsford (Kent) is where today’s nine mile full-day walk starts and finishes. Expect undulating terrain, one steep descent, perhaps some mud, but certainly attractive scenery along the Darent Valley. If you prefer, you can do just five miles in the morning or four in the afternoon.
All of our full-day walks include a stop for lunch in a pub or you are welcome to bring a picnic. The list of walks for December to February will be shown here from mid-November onwards.
To join the group or find out more, contact us on gswg @ hotmail.com or write to us at GSWG, PO Box 69025, London SW17 8PY