Whether you call it walking, hiking or rambling, the Gay Sunday Walking Group goes out and enjoys it - in London, Middlesex, Essex, Kent, Surrey, Sussex, Berks, Bucks, Beds and Herts on one all-day and one half-day walk each month.
You don’t have to be an experienced rambler to take part, in fact many of our members have developed a taste for the open air as a result of coming on one of our walks for the first time. Each month there is a half-day walk of about 3 to 6 miles and also a full-day walk of 7 to 12. We welcome members of all ages and we walk at a comfortable pace in a group of up to about twenty or so, starting and finishing at a railway or tube station usually within an hour’s journey from central London and, on full-day walks, stopping at a pub or café for lunch (or you are welcome to bring a picnic). The group maintains specialist activity insurance arranged through the Ramblers charity.
GSWG membership is open to gay men, lesbians, and to gay-friendly straights and costs just £10 per year. This entitles you to come on as many walks as you please at no extra charge and you will also receive a quarterly newsletter and walks notice via email (there is a £2 supplement to receive these items by post), plus tea after the AGM and an invitation to our popular December Tea celebration.
If you’d like to try us out before joining, do come along to your chosen walk from those listed here (the programme is updated every three months). You can get details of where to meet by contacting us as shown below, and make yourself known to the walk leader on the day. We are a friendly group and you can rest assured that you will be made most welcome.
Current Programme (Mid-November to February)
- Sunday, November 20th : Eynsford (Kent) is where today’s nine mile full-day walk starts and finishes. Expect undulating terrain, one steep descent, perhaps some mud, but certainly attractive scenery along the Darent Valley. If you prefer, you can do just five miles in the morning or four in the afternoon.
- Sunday, December 4th : A pleasant midday stroll from Chalk Farm to Baker Street station, taking in Primrose Hill and the expanse of Regent’s Park. Four miles.
- Sunday, December 18th : Our traditional pre-Christmas walk from Kew Gardens station to Richmond (where we stop for lunch) then into Richmond Park via the Ham Gate and out via the Richmond Gate before returning to Richmond station. Seven miles. Members are invited to continue back to Kew for our annual December Tea.
- Saturday, January 7th : A four mile early afternoon walk through the back streets of the City of London, starting at Liverpool Street and finishing at Holborn station. Lots of interesting places en route.
- Sunday, January 22nd : Out to suburban Surrey for a five and a half mile full-day circular ramble from and to Ewell East station, taking in historic Nonsuch Park and walking alongside part of the Hogsmill river.
- Sunday, February 5th : More water to walk by today as we follow a route from Greenford to Brentford in west London. Five and a half varied-landscape miles taking in the River Brent and the Grand Union Canal.
- Saturday, February 18th : Coulsdon South is the station to head for to start this nine and a half mile full-day circular walk that takes in Farthing Down and part of the North Downs Way, with a visit to the 12th century Chaldon Church if it is open.
All of our full-day walks include a stop for lunch in a pub or you are welcome to bring a picnic. The list of walks for March to May 2017 will be shown here from mid-February onwards.
To join the group or find out more, contact us on gswg @ hotmail.com or write to us at GSWG, PO Box 69025, London SW17 8PY