Whether you call it walking, hiking or rambling, the Gay Sunday Walking Group goes out and enjoys it - in London, Middlesex, Essex, Kent, Surrey, Sussex, Berks, Bucks, Beds and Herts on one all-day and one half-day walk each month.
You don’t have to be an experienced rambler to take part, in fact many of our members have developed a taste for the open air as a result of coming on one of our walks for the first time. Each month there is a half-day walk of about 3 to 6 miles and also a full-day walk of 7 to 12. We welcome members of all ages and we walk at a comfortable pace in a group of up to about twenty or so, starting and finishing at a railway or tube station usually within an hour’s journey from central London and, on full-day walks, stopping at a pub or café for lunch (or you are welcome to bring a picnic). The group maintains specialist activity insurance arranged through the Ramblers charity.
GSWG membership is open to gay men, lesbians, and to gay-friendly straights and costs just £11 per year. This entitles you to come on as many walks as you please at no extra charge and you will also receive a quarterly newsletter and walks notice via email (there is a £2 supplement to receive these items by post), plus tea after the AGM and an invitation to our popular December Tea celebration.
If you’d like to try us out before joining, do come along to your chosen walk from those listed here (the programme is updated every three months). You can get details of where to meet by contacting us as shown below, and make yourself known to the walk leader on the day. We are a friendly group and you can rest assured that you will be made most welcome.
Current programme (to end of May 2019)
- Sunday, February 16th ‐ A CHANGE OF PLAN due to rail engineering works. Today's walk will be a circular route from Leatherhead in Surrey. 9 miles, following the River Mole to Denbies Vineyard for a lunch stop then back via a different route. Yoiu can drop out at Denbies after 4½ miles if you prefer.
- Sunday, March 3rd ‐ From West Ruislip to Northwood Hills this afternoon through ancient semi-natural woodland and passing the reservoir known as Ruislip Lido. 5½ miles.
- Saturday, March 16th ‐ We're walking in the beautiful Kent countryside today, 9 miles from Hever to Cowden or you can drop out at Penshurst after 4½ miles. Undulating but no big hills, stiles and perhaps mud.
- Sunday, April 7th ‐ Oxleas Woods and Lesnes Abbey in southeast London this afternooin on a 5 mile route from Falconwood to Abbey Wood in the London suburbs, Spring flowers and fine views are on the agenda.
- Easter Monday, April 22nd ‐ Watford (Metropolitan line) is the start and end of today's walk that takes in Whippendell Woods and the village of Sarratt in Hertfordshire. 10½ miles and lots and lots of bluebells if Mother Nature smiles upon us.
- Sunday, May 5th ‐ Kingston-upon-Thames, Hampton Court, Bushy Park and Teddington feature in this afternoon's 5 mile walk. Famous names that might include mud if it has been raining.
- Saturday, May 18th ‐ Attractive rolling countryside with an early climb, some stiles and perhaps animals in fields in the Chiltern Hills, 10 miles in Hertfordshire with a lunch stop in Chipperfield village.
To join the group or find out more, contact us on gswg @ hotmail.com or write to us at GSWG, PO Box 69025, London SW17 8PY