Whether you call it walking, hiking or rambling, the Gay Sunday Walking Group goes out and enjoys it - in London, Middlesex, Essex, Kent, Surrey, Sussex, Berks, Bucks, Beds and Herts on one all-day and one half-day walk each month.
You don’t have to be an experienced rambler to take part, in fact many of our members have developed a taste for the open air as a result of coming on one of our walks for the first time. Each month there is a half-day walk of about 3 to 6 miles and also a full-day walk of 7 to 12. We welcome members of all ages and we walk at a comfortable pace in a group of up to about twenty or so, starting and finishing at a railway or tube station usually within an hour’s journey from central London and, on full-day walks, stopping at a pub or café for lunch (or you are welcome to bring a picnic). The group maintains specialist activity insurance arranged through the Ramblers charity.
GSWG membership is open to gay men, lesbians, and to gay-friendly straights and costs just £10 per year. This entitles you to come on as many walks as you please at no extra charge and you will also receive a quarterly newsletter and walks notice via email (there is a £2 supplement to receive these items by post), plus tea after the AGM and an invitation to our popular December Tea celebration.
If you’d like to try us out before joining, do come along to your chosen walk from those listed here (the programme is updated every three months). You can get details of where to meet by contacting us as shown below, and make yourself known to the walk leader on the day. We are a friendly group and you can rest assured that you will be made most welcome.
Current Programme (mid-February to end of May)
- Saturday, February 18th : Coulsdon South is the station to head for to start this nine and a half mile full-day circular walk that takes us to Farthing Down and part of the North Downs Way, with a visit to the 12th century Chaldon Church if it is open. Undulating with one steep climb.
- Sunday, March 5th : Manor House to Kentish Town. This afternoon walk takes in a park, a former railway line, a Village and a men's bathing pond (no binoculars, please!). Five and a half miles with ups and downs.
- Sunday, March 19th : A walk in the Kent countryside today , starting at Sevenoaks station. This circular walk passes Knole House on the way to our lunch stop at Ightham Mote before returning to Sevenoaks. Ten miles, undulating with moderate climbs.
- Sunday, April 2nd : A four mile afternoon walk east of London, from Upminster Bridge to Rainham via Hornchurch Country Park. Part of the London Loop - flat, and made-up paths all the way.
- Easter Saturday, April 15th : A circular walk of eleven miles starting and finishing at Borough Green station. Rolling Kentish countryside and broad forestry roads with a few steep ascents and descents.
- Sunday, May 7th : Bluebells in Whippendell Wood circular. Start at Watford Junction station for this seven mile circular afternoon ramble with, hopefully, wonderful floral displays. Flat but with one steep climb.
- Saturday, May 20th : We walk through West Herts countryside on this nine mile full-day walk starting and finishing at Radlett station (Thameslink). Undulating once again with a few short steeper climbs but well worth the effort.
All of our full-day walks include a stop for lunch in a pub or you are welcome to bring a picnic. The list of walks for June to to August 2017 will be shown here from mid-May onwards.
To join the group or find out more, contact us on gswg @ hotmail.com or write to us at GSWG, PO Box 69025, London SW17 8PY