Welcome to the website of the Gay Sunday Walking Group, an organisation that gives gay men and women the opportunity of healthy
walking in good and like-minded company in and around London every month. You don’t have to be an experienced rambler
to take part, in fact many of our members have developed a taste for the open air as a result of coming on one of our
walks for the first time. Each month there is a half-day walk of about 3 to 6 miles and also a full-day walk of 7 to
12. There is no age limit and we walk at a comfortable pace in a group of up to about twenty or so members, start and
finish at a railway or tube station usually within an hour’s journey from central London and, on full-day walks,
stop at a pub or cafe for lunch (or you are welcome to bring a picnic). GSWG membership is open to gay men, lesbians,
and straights with a positive attitude and costs just £10 per year. This entitles you to come on as many walks
as you please at no extra charge and you will also receive a quarterly newsletter and walks notice via email (there is
a £2 supplement to receive these items by post), plus tea after the AGM and an invitation to our popular December
Tea celebration. If you’d like to try us out before joining, do come along to your chosen walk from those listed
here (the programme is updated every three months) and you can get details of where to meet by contacting us as shown
below, and make yourself known to the walk leader on the day.
Current programme (May to August 2018)
- Sunday, May 6th – A half-day walk around Richmond Park, the largest of London’s royal parks. Walk through
the famous Isabella Plantation, see the peaceful Pen Ponds and hopefully watch wild deer from a distance.
Six miles and undulating.
- Sunday, May 20th – We’re out in the Chiltern Hills today on this eleven mile circular ramble from Beaconsfield
in beautiful Buckinghamshire. Hilly of course and with a lunch stop at Chalfont St Giles. You can drop
out at Seer Green after nine miles if you prefer.
- Saturday, May 26th – Stage four of our trek along the Vanguard Way, which runs for 65 miles from Croydon to the
south coast. Today’s section is from Forest Row to Buxted, near Uckfield, in East Sussex. 11 miles,
undulating with some long steady climbs. Please bring a picnic.
- Sunday, June 3rd – An afternoon walk of 4½ miles in south London, starting at Crystal Palace and ending
at North Dulwich. Two large parks, a disused railway line and tea en route are on the menu. Might be
muddy. This walk was originally scheduled for March but was postponed because of snow.
- Monday, June 11th – Our customary summer evening walk. Four miles from Harrow-on-the-Hill to South Kenton
stations. Hilly, a stile, good views and perhaps mud! We are invited to the local lesbian and gay group’s
meeting in South Kenton.
- Saturday, June 16th – A full-day walk entitled ‘Radlett, Shenley and the Colne Valley circular’ in
Hertfordshire. 11 miles, hilly and a few interesting sights to see on the way.
- Saturday, June 23rd – Our longest walk of the year, 14 miles along the Vanguard Way, stage five from Buxted to
Berwick in East Sussex. Undulating of course. Please bring a picnic.
- Sunday, July 1st – An innovative walk in north-east London. Five miles in the afternoon taking in Tottenham Marshes
and the new Walthamstow Wetlands. Especially interesting for birdwatchers so bring your binoculars.
- Sunday, July 15th – Another full-day walk in beautiful Buckinghamshire, a twelve mile circular from Amersham station
at the far end of the Metropolitan line. Two key words: hilly and views.
- Saturday, July 28th – At last, the final stage of our walk along the Vanguard Way from Croydon to Seaford.
Ten invigorating miles and a huge dollop of sea air to end with, and please bring a picnic.
- Sunday, August 5th – An afternoon walk in north London following a 5½ mile route from Manor House to Islington
via the Stoke Newington reservoirs, Clissold Park and Canonbury. This will be followed by our AGM at St Silas
Hall in Islington.
- Saturday, August 18th – Another walk that was scheduled for March but was postponed because of bad weather.
Ten miles from Hayes (Kent) to Hamsey Green following a section of the London Loop. One steep ascent and several
Unless otherwise stated, all of our full day walks include a stop for lunch in a pub or you are welcome to bring a picnic.
The list of walks from September to November 2018 will be shown here from late August onwards.
To join the group or find out more, contact us on gswg @ hotmail.com or write to us at GSWG, PO Box 69025, London SW17