Welcome to the website of the Gay Sunday Walking Group, an organisation that gives gay men and women the opportunity of healthy
walking in good and like-minded company in and around London every month. You don’t have to be an experienced rambler
to take part, in fact many of our members have developed a taste for the open air as a result of coming on one of our
walks for the first time. Each month there is a half-day walk of about 3 to 6 miles and also a full-day walk of 7 to
12. There is no age limit and we walk at a comfortable pace in a group of up to about twenty or so members, start and
finish at a railway or tube station usually within an hour’s journey from central London and, on full-day walks,
stop at a pub or cafe for lunch (or you are welcome to bring a picnic). GSWG membership is open to gay men, lesbians,
and straights with a positive attitude and costs just £10 per year. This entitles you to come on as many walks
as you please at no extra charge and you will also receive a quarterly newsletter and walks notice via email (there is
a £2 supplement to receive these items by post), plus tea after the AGM and an invitation to our popular December
Tea celebration. If you’d like to try us out before joining, do come along to your chosen walk from those listed
here (the programme is updated every three months) and you can get details of where to meet by contacting us as shown
below, and make yourself known to the walk leader on the day.
Current programme (to end of November 2018)
Saturday, August 18th – a full-day walk following part of the London Loop. Ten miles from Hayes (Kent)
to Hamsey Green in Surrey, a walk that is hilly in places with one fairly steep ascent and several stiles.
- Sunday, September 2nd – another stretch of the London Loop today, four and a quarter miles from Upminster Bridge
(almost at the eastern end of the District line) to Harold Wood. Undulating with one stile, might be some mud but
definitely good views.
- Sunday, September 18th – a full-day walk in the beautiful Chiltern Hills from Princes Risborough to High Wycombe.
Ten miles of wheat fields, woodland, remote spots ... and climbs, descents and lots of stiles! Well worth the effort
- Sunday, October 7th – much nearer home this afternoon as we walk five miles from Golders Green to Belsize Park
via Hampstead Heath, taking in the West and East Heaths, Kenwood (for a tea stop) and Parliament Hill. A bit hilly
of course and with some steps, but nothing too steep.
- Sunday, October 21st – out in the country again today, this time from East Grinstead in West Sussex to Lingfield
in Surrey. Ten miles overall but you can drop out after seven at Dormansland. Wealden countryside, some climbs and
more of those stiles. Might be muddy after rain.
- Sunday, November 4th – London has its own delightful walks and one such is this afternoon from Kent House near
Penge to Lewisham. Four and a half miles, mainly flat on hard surfaces throughout, and definitely no stiles! A surprisingly
green and pleasant ramble.
- Sunday, November 18th – to the north-east of our capital city today for an eight mile walk from Broxbourne in Hertfordshire
to Cheshunt along the beautiful Lea Valley, stopping for lunch at historic Waltham Abbey. Flat and mainly on firm
Unless otherwise stated, all of our full day walks include a stop for lunch in a pub or you are welcome to bring a picnic.
The list of walks from September to November 2018 will be shown here from late August onwards.
To join the group or find out more, contact us on gswg @ hotmail.com or write to us at GSWG, PO Box 69025, London SW17