Welcome to the website of the Gay Sunday Walking Group, an organisation that gives gay men and women the opportunity of healthy walking in good and like-minded company in and around London every month. You don’t have to be an experienced rambler to take part, in fact many of our members have developed a taste for the open air as a result of coming on one of our walks for the first time. Each month there is a half-day walk of about 3 to 6 miles and also a full-day walk of 7 to 12. There is no age limit and we walk at a comfortable pace in a group of up to about twenty or so members, start and finish at a railway or tube station usually within an hour’s journey from central London and, on full-day walks, stop at a pub or cafe for lunch (or you are welcome to bring a picnic). GSWG membership is open to gay men, lesbians, and straights with a positive attitude and costs just £10 per year. This entitles you to come on as many walks as you please at no extra charge and you will also receive a quarterly newsletter and walks notice via email (there is a £2 supplement to receive these items by post), plus tea after the AGM and an invitation to our popular December Tea celebration. If you’d like to try us out before joining, do come along to your chosen walk from those listed here (the programme is updated every three months) and you can get details of where to meet by contacting us as shown below, and make yourself known to the walk leader on the day.
Current programme (February to May 2018)
- Sunday, February 4th – A pleasant afternoon walk in what used to be called Middlesex ... five miles from Greenford to South Kenton following a part of the Capital Ring via Horsenden Hill and passing Harrow School. Undulating terrain, more ups than downs.
- Saturday, February 17th – A nine-mile circular from Coulsdon South station in outer London/Surrey borders, walking by way of Farthing Down, Chipstead Valley and Banstead Woods. Hilly, as some of these names suggest. You can drop out after seven miles at Chipstead station.
- Sunday, March 4th – Crystal Palace to North Dulwich is on the menu today, taking in Crystal Palace Park, a disused railway line and Dulwich Park with a stop for tea. An afternoon walk with one short steep climb, steps, and might be muddy in places. Four and a half miles.
- Sunday, March 18th – a full day walk of ten miles from Hayes in Kent to Hamsey Green in Surrey following part of the London Loop. Hilly with one fairly steep ascent and several stiles. We pass a stone marking the line of the Greenwich Meridian and get some great views of London. A bus journey to Croydon at the end of the walk for trains home,
- Easter Monday, April 2nd – A gentle four mile circular walk this afternoon around three of the lakes in Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire so it is flat throughout. A stop will be made for tea at a place with some lovely cakes!
- Sunday, April 15th – Get nearer to the sources of the River Lea and the New River today on this seven and a half mile circular walk from St Margarets in Hertfordshire. Not heard of it? it is near Ware where we stop for lunch. Undulating with open countryside, woods and riverside walking all included.
- Sunday, May 6th – A half-day walk around Richmond Park, the largest of London’s royal parks. Walk through the famous Isabella Plantation, see the peaceful Pen Ponds and hopefully watch wild deer from a distance. Six miles and undulating.
- Sunday, May 20th – We’re out in the Chiltern Hills today on this eleven mile circular ramble from Beaconsfield in beautiful Buckinghamshire. Hilly of course and with a lunch stop at Chalfont St Giles. You can drop out at Seer Green after nine miles if you prefer.
- Saturday, May 26th – Stage four of our trek along the Vanguard Way, which runs for 65 miles from Croydon to the south coast. Today’s section is from Forest Row to Buxted, near Uckfield, in East Sussex. Undulating with some long steady climbs. Please bring a picnic.
Unless otherwise stated, all of our full day walks include a stop for lunch in a pub or you are welcome to bring a picnic. The list of walks from June to September 2018 will be shown here from late May onwards.
To join the group or find out more, contact us on gswg @ hotmail.com or write to us at GSWG, PO Box 69025, London SW17 8PY