Welcome to the website of the Gay Sunday Walking Group, an organisation that gives gay men and women the opportunity of healthy walking in good and like-minded company in and around London every month. You don’t have to be an experienced rambler to take part, in fact many of our members have developed a taste for the open air as a result of coming on one of our walks for the first time. Each month there is a half-day walk of about 3 to 6 miles and also a full-day walk of 7 to 12. There is no age limit and we walk at a comfortable pace in a group of up to about twenty or so members, start and finish at a railway or tube station usually within an hour’s journey from central London and, on full-day walks, stop at a pub or cafe for lunch (or you are welcome to bring a picnic). GSWG membership is open to gay men, lesbians, and straights with a positive attitude and costs just £10 per year. This entitles you to come on as many walks as you please at no extra charge and you will also receive a quarterly newsletter and walks notice via email (there is a £2 supplement to receive these items by post), plus tea after the AGM and an invitation to our popular December Tea celebration. If you’d like to try us out before joining, do come along to your chosen walk from those listed here (the programme is updated every three months) and you can get details of where to meet by contacting us as shown below, and make yourself known to the walk leader on the day.
Current Programme (mid-May to August)
- Saturday May 20th – The West Herts countryside hosts our full-day walk today – nine miles starting and finishing at Radlett station. Undulating with a few short steep climbs but well worth the effort.
- Sunday June 4th – An afternoon walk from High Barnet to Mill Hill East (4 miles) or Hendon Central (6 miles). After a steep climb from High Barnet station the route is undulating and might be muddy in places. Good views, interesting scenery and the certainty of starting and finishing at a Northern line station!
- Wednesday June 7th – Hampstead Heath on a summer’s evening ... a four mile circular walk from Hampstead Tube with the option of a drink afterwards in the William IV in Hampstead High Street, a noted gay meeting place back in the day.
- Saturday June 17th – To East Sussex today for an eight mile full-day circular walk from Cowden station. Lovely countryside, undulating, many stiles and some steady, but not steep, climbs. Some history as well as we pass through an area associated with the Weald iron industry.
- Saturday June 24th – Stage one of the Vanguard Way (which runs from Croydon to Seaford). We walk the first eleven miles today as far as Oxted via the North Downs, so hilly with two steep climbs and two steep descents. It is essential you bring a picnic as there is no pub in the area where we have our lunch stop.
- Sunday July 2nd -- A six mile walk this afternoon in the south-west London suburbs from New Malden to Barnes, following the Beverley Brook through Wimbledon Common and Richmond Park, with quite a variety of scenery along the way.
- Sunday July 16th – Epping Forest and the Upland. A full-day eleven-mile ramble beginning and ending at Epping station. Expect undulation and a couple of stiles before lunch and long but gentle climbs in the afternoon with extensive views.
- Saturday July 22nd – Stage two of the Vanguard Way ... ten miles over a full day from Oxted in Surrey to Edenbridge in Kent with a pub stop for lunch at Limpsfield Chart. The North Downs Way, the Greensand Ridge and the Eden Valley all feature in this hilly walk. The third stage will take place on September 9th.
- Sunday August 6th – An attractive afternoon walk through north London from Manor House station to Islington (five and a half miles). The end point is the location of this year’s AGM, P lease contact us as shown below if you need details of where and when etc.
- Saturday August 19th – A seven and a half mile full-day walk in rural Hertfordshire starting and ending at Bayford station on the Hertford North line. Lovely countryside including a golf course, villages and woods. Not to be missed.
Unless otherwise stated, all of our full day walks include a stop for lunch in a pub or you are welcome to bring a picnic. The list of walks from September to November 2017 will be shown here from mid-August onwards.
To join the group or find out more, contact us on gswg @ hotmail.com or write to us at GSWG, PO Box 69025, London SW17 8PY